Monday, April 18, 2016

Final Course Reflection
EDTECH 541-4202



Every day, 
teaching with technology, 
I feel like I've "Only Just Begun"!

Part 1:

My Beginnings
In any field involving technology, which I guess would be all fields these days, the learning never ends. I began teaching Technology Integration in 1998 and the big push was for the integration of Microsoft's basic suite and introduction of instructional software into the curriculum. The younger students came to the computer lab to work on CCC in order to practice their math and reading skills, and the older students worked on integrated projects using Word, Publisher, PowerPoint and Excel. What a breakthrough for the time and the students loved it. Of course, Zoombinis was also a favorite! Back then, software purchases came on floppy discs (even some of the 5 1/4, but mostly 3 1/2 inch), one per license, a far cry from the cloud based licences and availability of the free choices in today's cyber world.

What I've Learned in This Course
In the instructional software unit, I learned the importance of understanding the different types of instructional software and some key things to look for when evaluating the effectiveness it. Through my exploration, I came across quite a few great resources and tools that I will use in the future.

Students love creating presentations or books, and I was introduced to many tools that I had never used before, such as VoicethreadStory JumperScreencastify and Camtasia, for example. I came to realize that not only were these tools great for the students to use to present their work, but for teachers to use to "Flip" their classroom. Presentation and recording software is also a great way to provide course content in a form that can be reviewed as many times as a student needs to in order to absorb the information.

Students love playing on the computer, but I never realized how many educational games and simulations were available online, free. In the weather unit that I created, I was able to find plenty of games that fit in well with the curriculum. What a fantastic way to engage students, hold their attention, increase their knowledge, and still meet the goals of the unit.

Social Media in the Classroom is generally considered "taboo" in our school, but I think that's because everyone automatically thinks of the negatives that they've heard in regard to social networking sites. There is so much more to social media than Facebook and Twitter, not saying that these are bad, but things tools where students are able to interact with others, such as Skype or Facetime, the sharing features of Google's productivity suite, and the many other opportunities enabling students to connect and learn in environments that books can't provide.

How Theory Guided Me
Howard Gardner's Theory of Multiple Intelligences will always be my guide.  I know that there are many educational theories out there, and they all play a part in how our educational system has developed and changed, but I feel like having an understanding of  the different ways that my students think, understand, and get excited about learning is key to being successful in reaching the greatest number of students. I am able to apply his theories every day, in a very practical way. As an individual who learns best through visual and auditory media, through sound, music, and videos, I can relate to the need for providing students with choice and options in education. Including a variety of teaching media will help students of all learning styles to be more successful and engaged.

How I've Grown Professionally
Professionally, I have gained so much knowledge. Even though I've been working in Technology Integration for almost 18 years, the changes that occur in the field are impossible to keep up with. Immersing myself in courses, seminars, and conferences is the only way that I can even come close to keeping up with the new and innovative opportunities available for use in the classroom.

How My Teaching Practice Has Been Impacted
Resources, resources, resources! My teaching will be impacted by all of the resources that I found while doing my projects. I never realized how many free simulations there are available for use in the classroom. Science educational games are also plentiful. Integration of these resources will take my teaching to a whole new level, being able to engage so many more students, do more "flipping" of my curriculum, and cover much more material because students will be truly engaged because they are going to be in a 21st century learning environment, using tools that are most familiar with.

What Will I Do Differently
As the Technology Integrator, I now have a whole new set resources to offer to the classroom teachers. Working together, we can develop new curriculum around new ebook tools, presentation tools, recording tools, simulations, and games. Even though the students still love using Google Presentation, changing it up a bit by adding a new tool, will strengthen their technology skill set. In my teaching, which is mostly with 1st-4th grade classes, I'm excited to use some of the ebook software, specifically StoryJumper, instead of Google Presentation, which they currently use. As science is my true passion, and most of my integration is into that curriculum, I will definitely be adding more science games and simulations to my lessons.

Conclusion
Overall, I found this course very useful and practical. Finding time to just "surf" the Internet and explore all of the amazing tools out there just doesn't usually happen. Through this course I have many new resources that I can now integrate into my curriculum. I love it when I am able to do projects that can be put to use in my teaching. Doing "fluff" research, in an already crazy teaching schedule, is not something that I'm a fan of. So, thank you for designing this course in the way that you did!



No comments:

Post a Comment